• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe neck pain

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My neck has hurt every moments of every day. I started having steroid injections in my neck 2 yrs ago and it was working for 12 months. I finally started seeing a pain management Dr about a yr ago and he has been ablation X2 didn't help. Steroid shots. started q 3 months, then q month.then a few weeks ago an epidural all on the left side of my neck. Now the left side is hurting so bad i can never get comfortable and every few hrs durning my sleep I will more from my bed to my couch and go back and forth all night.
I was shown and X-ray that showed my neck , not just straight, but curving the opposite way. My pain MD confirmed that my neck is curving the wrong way, with bulging disc, degenerative disc, a running bone spur somewhere in my neck. I have a shooting pain, like I'm being shocked.,that runs down my left arm to the end of my thump, overtime I extend my arm.
Things are seeming to be getting worse fast.
They said there is no way to correct my neck to the correct curve. But What are the options to stop further damage. Curving further . or just stop my facets from collapsing.
I need information on options
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
please follow the instructions as advised and take medications too

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.

You are probably suffering from cervical radiculopathy. The abnormal curvature may be due to ongoing damage to the spine and associated spasm due to pain.

The treatment options available are plenty:

The first step is to use a cervical collar to support the neck.
Physiotherapy under guidance will gradually lead to decreased compression.

Pain killers with muscle relaxants like Aceclofenac, Etoricoxib with Tizanidine or Thiocolchicoside can be used. Opioids like Tapentadol can be used with good results (Prescription will be required from your local physician for these).

Surgery is the next option available which depends upon the radiological picture.

Visit and consultation with a Neurosurgeon will be helpful in this regard.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Please also upload the MRI images here for further analysis and advice.

Do get back to me for further queries.

Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist