Suggest treatment for severe neck pain

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: No. I am not doing well. I have had the hardest time getting help and what you rewuedted. I am getting weaker. I saw my doctor today she pulled on my head and said the is what ypu need. Traction. I have the last page now for you i believe. I have another doctor in XXXXXXX but no real rehab. I have a chiropractic that has a decomposition machine that I spoke to. I have been trying to get a new bed. I can't with my neck. I have some good days but tonight is very bad after her pulling and my issues from trying the bed and me trying hard to create my own rehab.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Reports normal except ANA.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen all your reports and all the previous history.
You have degenerative changes in your spine and positive ANA. This is not confirmatory of an auto immune disorder. The degenerative changes and pain in the neck can be managed with the help of oral anti inflammatory medicines and muscle relaxants.
Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult a neurologist for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
What kind of bed would ypu recommend and what style or firmness. I feel that my old bed causes a lot of my problems. But trying new beds is impossible. They jam my spine into my head. Do you think decompression is good or traction..? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The methods used to administer decompression and traction therapy and the purpose of each treatment are virtually identical. The purpose of each treatment is to alleviate pain by relieving pressure and improve mobility of either nerve structures, joints of the spine and/or muscle. Each method utilizes a sophisticated table and mechanical device to apply a traction or decompressive force which is sometimes augmented by the patient performing activities while on the table.
Traction is used by physical therapists to decompress these structures and chiropractors use decompression therapy, a form of traction, to achieve the same result. It is better to consult a physical therapist for traction.
A medium firm mattress that gives firm support with a comfortable feel is considered the best. Comfort will be determined by your personal preference.
Brain MRI scan will not help you much as your problem is related to spine and not brain.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.