Suggest treatment for severe neck and shoulder pain

Posted on Tue, 16 Dec 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Since yesterday morning I have had pretty severe neck pain from the base of my skull to my shoulder. I do feel light tingling of the skin, but I can pinch the skin and feel it. Yesterday was like a burning up and down the neck without stop. today that pain went away but I still get pain high and low on the neck region. The shoulder pain has reduced considerably. Taking Tylenol every 4-5 hours has helped slightly. If I bend my head forward I feel pain in the bottom of the neck area.
Answered by Dr. Moumita Chakraborty,MD 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cervical Spondylosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir,

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I understand your concern.The symptoms you described makes me think of Cervical Spondylosis. Cervical spondylosis is very common and worsens with age.

If I were your doctor, I would have asked you to do a Neck X ray or a CT scan.And then treat you according to the severity of your reports.

If your symptoms are not that severe,you may try to do the following;
Regular exercise.
Heat or ice(if any sore muscles)
Soft neck brace.

Hope I answered your query.Feel free to ask more.
Dr.Moumita Chakraborty
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Moumita Chakraborty,MD