Suggest treatment for severe nausea and phlegm in the chest

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: For the past two months, I find that I have an excess of clear phlegm and become nauseated and sometimes vomit (phlegm only) especially during the morning hours. I am an singer in a large arena rock band and was on tour during Nov and Dec. The air quality was very poor on stage due to pyro dust, haze and fog. I also am a frequent drinker of alcohol without being dependent. My appetite is fine and I have no problem with my energy level or the clarity of my voice. Would appreciate any input. Thx.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try the following medications; if no improvement than chest xray is needed

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.

There are several reasons of the phlegm. I do not read in your message that you smoke or not. Smoking cessation would be very important if you do.

Trying some antihistamines for allergy might be a good idea, like cetirizine or loratadine at night. If you get better with these than it means it is allergy and treatment for this would help. Sometimes nasal steroid spray would be a better alternative in these cases.

Another important cause would be if you have reflux, which means gastric acid reflux. Most of the times, people with this have also burping, heartburn or acid sensation at the back of the throat and also cough or phlegm. Some patients might just have the phlegm. Trying some omeprazole 40 mg a day for 2 weeks would be a good idea to test this.

Weight loss would help in this case also. Making sure having frequent small meals and having the last meal at least 3-4 hours before bed time. Rising the head of the bed with bricks might improve the symptoms also. Combining these with the Omeprazole treatment for 2 weeks would be advisable.

If none of these medications help than you will need to see a doctor and have at least a chest X-Ray done to rule out lung causes of the phlegm. Your doctor might ask few more tests also after he does a thorough visit on you.

Hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to reply if anymore clarifications are needed.

Kind regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee