Suggest treatment for severe nasal congestion and sinusitis

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Heavy congestion in nose, some chest, drop of bleeding at end of day sometime after Neti-pot. Now, sore tongue is occassionally occuring. Two week condition. Usually have sinusitis once/yearly.I also have Gerd and Barretts Syndrome (never cancerous). Is it time to take an antibiotic? Any other suggestions.

Thank you,
Dan XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
antibiotics would be helpful if there has been no change

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Bleeding would occur because the sinus passages and airways are inflamed/irritated and likely infected.

Though viral infection can cause similar symptoms, it does not usually persist for this length of time, this means that a bacterial infection is definitely possible.

Antibiotics should definitely be considered along with an antihistamine , decongestant combination.
The antihistamine/decongestant combination would help to open the sinuses and also reduce the inflammation present. eg zyrtec d, allegra d, benadryl d, claritine d.A topical decongestant can also be used eg otrivine or normal saline drops.

If antibiotics are hard to access for you from your doctor, you can try the antihistamine/decongestant along with topical decongestant and see if this helps

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions