Suggest treatment for severe nasal congestion and cold

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi, My little girl is 3. She has had a stuffy nose/cold for the past week. I noticed what looked like a burst blood vessel under her eye and then the last couple of days, when she cries or shouts (temper tantrum) her face gets some red blotches and what looks like red thread like veins (not too apparent, you have to look closely but they're there). Is this normal?

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely due to some viral infection,nothing to worry much

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for choosing this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Cold/stuffy nose in a child followed by red rashes on cheek area is most likely due to viral infection(sometimes due to parvovirus called fifth disease or erythema infectiosum). After 3-5 days of cold the rashes first appear on cheek area and then may involve upper part of body also( lacy and like prominent veins). The rashes get prominent during fever,cry or after bouts of cough.
As this is usually a viral infection it subsides within 7-10 days without any specific treatment.
Giving decongestant like phenylephrine with some antiallergic like chlorpheniramine helps.Please get it prescribed by a physician.
I wont get overly worried if child is otherwise active,accepting feeds well, there is no breathing difficulty or any other significant problem.
I suggest you to observe her closely and if you find any significant abnormality consult your pediatrician.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more queries.
Wishing for your child's good health.