Suggest treatment for severe nasal congestion and blocked ears

Posted on Tue, 11 Oct 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello, I am currently suffering with severe nasal congestion, blocked ears, some pain in the ears and forehead, inflamed tonsils, a productive cough and some vomiting/ loose bowel movements. The cough has been present for some weeks, but the nasal congestion came on suddenly on Monday. I was prescribed Cefalexin on Tues, but finished it on Thursday. Since Wednesday, I have been unable to smell anything aside from small whiffs twice a day, and yesterday, my smell returned for an hour when I first woke up. It disappeared again when I started to block back up again. I was prescribed amoxicilin today, as I seem to have become more 'flu like' (cold, shivery, headache). I am using 5ml of Dimetapp 12 hourly decongestant diluted into 30ml of saline nose spray to relieve the congestion, and spray Avamys once a day. I am 23 weeks pregnant. Can you advise the likelihood of my sense of smell returning? this has never happened to me before. How long could I reasonably expect it would take for my sense of smell to return? how likely is it that the smell might not return at all, given my past history (ie; while I have had many sinus congestions especially during pregnancy, i have never lost sense of smell before). Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your sense of smell will return, please do not worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query here.

I have carefully studied your description and I understand your worry.

But let me reassure you, your sense of smell has not gone anywhere, the nasal discharge is not letting in the odor particles to reach the nasal mucosa that perceives the smell.

Sense of smell will return promptly as soon as the nasal congestion and discharge subside.

Your earlier cephalexine dose was incomplete, it should have been give for at least 7 days.

Continue amoxycillin for 7 days and also take tylenol cold.

Do steam inhalation 4 times a day.

Take good rest and hydrate yourself.

Eat fresh foods.

This infection will go away soon, and you will be back to normal soon, so do not worry.

Hope you found this answer useful, please do write back to me if you have any doubts.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Best regards
Dr. Yogesh D