Suggest treatment for severe migraine

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi,
I have a pulsing headache sometimes. feeling some pressure in my ears sometime. i have migrane. I am doing two night shift duties per week.
What is the problem?
xxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Further information is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms. Before we ascertain the exact cause of your headaches, I need some more information.

1. How long do the headache episodes last?
2. Any nausea or vomiting along with headache episodes?
3. Dies the headache get worse in sunlight or with loud noise?
4. Any other triggering factors for headache?
5. Do you sleep well?

Please get back with the above information, so that I can help you further with diagnosis and further treatment plans.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 42 hours later
Hello Doctor

I am here by providing the details you asked.

1. Headache comes sometimes twice or thrice in a month. Sometimes a pulsing can feel between my right ear and neck area. After some sleep it goes.

2. No nausea or vomiting till date.

3. Sometimes headache get worse in sunlight especially in the noon.
4. Last month I had headache for one whole day. that time i had a pain in the lower right neck.
5. Sleeping is a big problem. I am working in the Cochin Airport as Security screener. I am working in 3 shifts with 8 hours. my shift pattern is two days 0600hrs-1400hrs, two days 1400hrs-2200hrs, two days 2200hrs - 0600hrs. total 48 hrs per week. I have to monitor x-ray images of the baggages continuous through out the shift. total 48 hrs night shift per month minimum.
we have only one off after the two night shift. so sleeping was not timely. But I got enough sleep for more than 9 hrs.
I had migraine in the past years till 2012. I took ayurvedic treatments for migraine in 2012. After that the head ache was appeared in the last two months only.

Please provide your detailed diagniosis report. I was worried about any thing serrious.
Looking forward to your replay.
Regrads
xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The most likely cause is migraine.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I have noted your symptoms and the most likely diagnosis is recurrence of your old migraine. Shift duties, including night shift duties, lack of off days, and strenuous work are all contributing to the severity of migraine.

Since you have frequent headaches, you should be started on preventive medications to reduce the severity and frequency of headaches. The best options are topiramate and divalproex tablets.

For relief of headache, you can take Naproxen tablets.

If the headache does not subside, then, a brain scan may be done.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 29 minutes later
Hi Doctor

thanks for your replay and prescription.

What could be the reason for the pulsing feeling in the right side. Is that serious.

xxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pulsating feeling is not serious.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Pulsating or throbbing feeling is common in migraine, and it is not serious.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Hi doctor

thanks for the replay.
I forgot to mention that I am getting cold quiet often and having nasal congestion.
Is that related to Sinusitis or Migraine or any other brain related problem

xxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That is related to allergic rhinitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

The symptoms of cold and nasal congestion are related to allergic rhinitis (nasal allergy). It can be easily treated with nasal sprays. Please consult an ENT surgeon for that.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)