Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
167 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for severe middle ear infection

Answered by
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1978

Answered : 6704 Questions

Posted on Fri, 4 Nov 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have an ear infection. I went to a XXXXXXX clinic at Walgreens while out of town last Thursday. Z pack and Zyrtec was prescribed. Did not get better. Went to a CVS clinic on Saturday. I was prescribed to change to Amoxicillin, and pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. She also prescribed 800 mg Motrin for pain. It is only the right ear. I returned home last night. Sleeping much better and congestion is much better, but the ear is still stopped up and ringing. When should I expect the ear to unstop? The first lady said it was a very bad infection and the ear drum was bulging and there was puss behind the eardrum and a blister on it. Are my ears in danger of hearing loss for this now the 12th day. I am 62 and never get sick. Never had an ear infection before. Should I go yet again somewhere and get some kind of drops? Do I need an Ear nose and throat guy?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....better to go to an ENT doctor
Detailed answer....
Thanks for the query.
I have read your query and understand your concern.
You are suffering from severe middle ear infection called as acute otiis media.
If your ear drum is bulging,as told by your doctor,it means there is a collection of pus behind the ear drum which is caring this bulge.
I would advise you to consult an ENT for assessment of your condition.
In case he deems it fit,he can perform myringotomy in your ear,where a small opening is made in the ear drum and accumulated pus allowed to drain. Opening thus made doesn't affect your hearing and gets healed without any specific treatment.
With discharge of pus,your symptoms would improve tremendously and immediately.
No need to put any ear drops as it won't make any difference to you.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Hearing loss

doctor1 MD

sir, I am operated for epidermoid at left cerebello pontine angle .I suffered with post operative complications like hearing loss (up to 53...

doctor1 MD

Friend had severe sickness, diarrhea & stomach pain possible diagnosis of colitis. However, although slowly recovering he had hearing loss in left...

doctor1 MD

Our 17 year old daughter was diagnosed with Digeorge syndrom at 3 months of age. She has had major cardiac issues with 3 truncus artiriosis...

doctor1 MD

I m a lady of about 28 yrs old. i m suffering from headache since 9 years. but its frequqncy had increased in last 2 years. i m taking nimesulide...

doctor1 MD

What does a mastoidectomy involve? What type of care is required before and after such a procedure?

doctor1 MD

Dr. Eni My daughter is home now and is still nauseous, and dizzy with stomach pain, but is doing better since receiving CBD anally. No reason was...

doctor1 MD

I've seen 2 doctors. I've also emailed back and fourth with Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX on this site. My symptoms are ringing in the left ear. Low grade...