Suggest treatment for severe middle ear infection

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Fri, 4 Nov 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have an ear infection. I went to a XXXXXXX clinic at Walgreens while out of town last Thursday. Z pack and Zyrtec was prescribed. Did not get better. Went to a CVS clinic on Saturday. I was prescribed to change to Amoxicillin, and pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. She also prescribed 800 mg Motrin for pain. It is only the right ear. I returned home last night. Sleeping much better and congestion is much better, but the ear is still stopped up and ringing. When should I expect the ear to unstop? The first lady said it was a very bad infection and the ear drum was bulging and there was puss behind the eardrum and a blister on it. Are my ears in danger of hearing loss for this now the 12th day. I am 62 and never get sick. Never had an ear infection before. Should I go yet again somewhere and get some kind of drops? Do I need an Ear nose and throat guy?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....better to go to an ENT doctor
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
You are suffering from severe middle ear infection called as acute otiis media.
If your ear drum is bulging,as told by your doctor,it means there is a collection of pus behind the ear drum which is caring this bulge.
I would advise you to consult an ENT for assessment of your condition.
In case he deems it fit,he can perform myringotomy in your ear,where a small opening is made in the ear drum and accumulated pus allowed to drain. Opening thus made doesn't affect your hearing and gets healed without any specific treatment.
With discharge of pus,your symptoms would improve tremendously and immediately.
No need to put any ear drops as it won't make any difference to you.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks