• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe lower back pain

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I hope you can answer my questions. I am a female, 61 yrs. old and have been on oxycontin er for the last 5 yrs. My dr. retired and no one will prescribe this medicine for me. I have severe lower back pain which renders me helpless without the meds. This new dr. wants to give me nerve blocks. I am afraid. I had scoliosis surgery in 2004 and have 2 Harrington rods 33 2 and half inch screws in my back. As I said, I also have had 5 epidural injections which did not take. What will nerve blocks do for me and how long will they last?
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hard to predict duration of blocks in any given person

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your CHALLENGING question.

NERVE BLOCK- An injection placed at a location of where a nerve or group of nerves is known to exist which supply sensation to a particular part of the body. This is what is done frequently at the dentist's office.

As you can imagine the answer to your question, though very reasonable and common, is very difficult to answer accurately simply because the duration of analgesic medication given in the form of an injection into the spine is highly dependent upon a number variables...some of which can change from VISIT TO VISIT in the same patient let alone different patients.

However, as a neurologist who sees many chronic pain patients who are getting injected the average duration of relief from nerve blocks is said to be on the order of 4-8 weeks. However, I've had patients who have told me that in as little as 2 weeks the effects started wearing off and I've had patients who've said that up to 6 months they've still had very good relief going and were able to perform daily tasks. It's very dependent upon the person, the INJECTOR, the type of medication that is used and whether injections are placed with fluoroscopic guidance (use of X-ray to help the injector more precisely locate the site of interest) or simply placed blindly based upon external anatomic landmarks.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 32 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist