• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe lower back pain

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: I have never had back problems before but two days ago I bent down to pick something up and had sever pain in lower back right above my butt pain is still there 2 days now
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be muscles or ligaments stretch or tear.

Detailed Answer:
Lifting a heavy object, twisting, or a sudden movement can cause muscles or ligaments stretch or develop microscopic tears.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Last but not least, if its unbearable take medications or muscle relaxant prescribed by your physician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon