• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe lower back pain

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hi ive put my back out i heard a click & the pain became excruciating & i cant walk standing straight. Its incompacitating. I fell over the day before.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be acute lumbo sacreal strain.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I am Dr Gopal Goel .Orthopedic Surgeon.
The way you are describing it appears that you have acute lumbo sacral strain. There is a possibility of Sprain of Sacroiliac joint also. Start pain killers ,muscle relaxants , and local analgesic cream application. Avoid weight lifting and forward bending. Wait for few days and if there is no relief , please get am MRI of lower back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 20 minutes later
Thank you. It's not likely to be fractured or broken is it and if it's broken how do Drs treat it? It's not likely a slipped disc is it? I'm scared the pain is so bad I might need an operation
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely too be broken.

Detailed Answer:
Hi , In my opinion It is not broken. Bones don't break part at your age just by stressful movement. If in doubt go for a MRI.
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Ok that's good. I didn't lift anything heavy I just lifted a quilt in the air and the pain is excruciating with twitching nerves and pain in the back of my leg and my arm a bit on the same side. It's not a slipped disc is it? Today is day 2 & it's worse no pain killers work. Is panadol or neurofen better? I have celobrex?
Brief Answer:
could be slipped disc.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The way you are describing now Slipped disc cannot be ruled out. Continue treatment as I had stated earlier , wait for few days , then go For MRI . Even soft tissue Injuries ( sprains) take time to heal.
Thanx for the question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon