Suggest treatment for severe lower back pain

Posted on Sat, 1 Apr 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Dear Sir, I have been suffering from lower back pain from last 6 years. In my MRI, it's found that I have severe disc bulges in l2/l3, l3/l4,l4/l5,l5/s1. I consulted orthopedic surgeon and he told me that it's not advisable to go for surgery as severe bulges in multiple places and there will not be much benefit. Even I am not interested to go for surgery. I constantly have back pain and some times it becomes unbearable due to which I can't even turn. I have taken physiotherapy and doing exercises currently. but I didn't see much improvement. Could you please tell me whether it will be curable and make me to lead normal life. What is the best possible solution other than surgery to recover completely.Please find attached MRI screenshots.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle relaxants can help.

Detailed Answer:
have seen the attached images of MRI scan. There s disc bulge at multiple levels. The treatment is done according to the severity of symptoms. Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Intermittent pelvic traction might be helpful to cause a regression of the protruded disc
After the initial pain subsides, remedial exercises to strengthen the spine are very important to restore normal spinal movements and muscle strength. The main aim of exercise is to encourage mobility, reduce muscle spasm, prevent further deterioration in the muscles and speed recovery.
Use analgesics like advil or aleve and muscle relaxants to relieve pain and muscle spasm, as needed. Vitamin B12 supplements & Pregabalin may be helpful in controlling the neuropathic pain.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon