Suggest treatment for severe lower back pain

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Having severe pain at lower back for last 4 days & today it becomes almost unbearable, minute started after delivery but XXXXXXX much in last 4 days. Is it related to Spine? Kindly suggest which Specialist Doctor to be visited in case required?
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Backpain management

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for asking from HCM.

I can understand your concern. The severe, unbearable pain requires rest. You must consult a neurosurgeon. He will examine the patient and advise few investigations like
X ray lumbosacral spine
MRI lumbosacral spine if doubt of disc prolapse

The examination will help in finding the area of involvement. Severe back pain can be due to paraspinal muscles spasm, lumbar vertebral disease like listhesis, lumbar disc disease. The investigations will confirm the disease.

For pain relief, you can follow few tips

- Avoid weight bearing
- Avoid extreme back movement like bending/extension
- lie on flat bed
- Use lumbar corset to immobilise spine
- Apply hot fomentation thrice a day
- Take tablet diclofenac with serratiopeptidase for pain relief after proper prescription.
- If tingling, current like pain, take tablet pregabaline after proper prescription.

Hope it will help you. If still in doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 11 hours later
Thankyou Sir for providing such valuable guidance. Can you pls tell me tablet name of diclofenac with serratiopeptidase & MG level?
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX welcome back.

You are most welcome. Usual adult dose of diclofenac is 50 mg thrice a day what I prescribe. There are so many variants of diclofenac with serratiopeptidase + MG like Chymoral plus, ASPIRA-S, DICLAN SP. You must take medication after proper prescription from doctor.

Hope it will help you. If any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj