Suggest treatment for severe lower back pain

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Back Pain
Question: For lower back pain, is it better to rest or to do stretches to avoid stiffness? Is heat or ice recomended? At times, pain is acute shooting down back of both legs. Is worse, in the morning waking up.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take rest and do hot compress.

Detailed Answer:
For lower back pain, it is better to take rest till the pain subsides. After the acute pain subsides then you can start with mild exercise to maintain the tone of the muscles. The stretching will help avoid stiffness but start doing it after pain is over.
Do a hot compress and start taking some oral muscle relaxants for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Tayal,
It is a comfort to get confirmation on what I think I should do. Just relieving the anxiety that comes with doubt is a big help.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you.
I am happy I could help.
Please do recommend our services to others too in case you found them helpful. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.
Best regards.