Suggest treatment for severe lower back pain

Dr. Muhammad Ahmad

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Intense lower back pain, comes and goes since last sunday night. Goes away with cold compresses. Some nausea when pain gets to a high point . generally only lasts about a minute. First time happened a week ago after lifting bags of sand in back yard. I am male and 67 years old
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Here is what you should do

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Health Care Magic.

Thanks for writing.

I am Dr.Muhammad Ahmad. I have read your question completely, i understand your concern and will try to help you in best way possible.

In my opinion it is musculo skeletal pain. May be a spasmed muscle or an impinged nerve. In your age disc bulges can be there. I would suggest you to visit your spinal or orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible.

Till then here are a few things you can do.

1) Take good bed rest don't life any heavy loads.
2) Give warm compresses or place warm water bottle under it to relieve spasm.
3) For pain you can use Brufen (ibuprofen) 400mg thrice a day.
4) I would also suggest my similar patients to use a muscle relaxant like movax.
5) Rub diclifenac or ibufprufen gel or buo freez on the area.
6) Visit your doctor ASAP he might get some tests like Xrays done to see what might be the issue.

I hope this answered your question, a
if you have more please feel free to ask.

Regrads.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad.

M.B.B.S(Licensed Family Physician)

Resident M.D.
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 1 hour later
Thank you! Pain is more to front than back. Just above beltline. I feel pain thru to lower back at times. It is not tender to the touch which feels like deeper pain?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems like muscle spasm

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back,

The way things started and how they have been proceding it seems like a spasm it might be abdominal wall msucles which might have got spasmed during the process of lifting heavy load ..what you did .. if there is no burning micturarion constipation or diarrhea ,it is abdominal wall and back involved... which will get better itself soon .

If this doesn't get better in 3-4 days or get worse with time then better option is always to visit the doctor in person so that cause can be found.

Although i am quite positive that things will get better gradually. You can try what i suggested it will help

Regards.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad