• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe lower back pain after an injury

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello,
2 weeks ago I slipped and fell on the floor in a sitting posture. The entire impact was just on my bottom. I was having pain at the extreme end of the spinal cord due to this. Normally its fine, but when I try to stand up or sit, or when I cough or sneeze, it hurts. It hurts whenever it is under some pressure. The pain is mild but it is still there.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
X-ray will reveal any fracture

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Sometimes on falling on one's buttocks, tailbone can get hurt. In most cases, its not a fracture. You can get an X-ray done to rule it out. Pain will subside in few weeks time.

For its management, you can do the following:

- Sit on a doughnut shape pillow to avoid stress on tailbone
- Take over the counter pain killers like ibuprofen or naproxen to get relief from pain and swelling
- Avoid postures that make the pain worse
- Cold or heat compresses

Referal to orthopedic surgeon is required only if there are other symptoms like pain during bowel movement, etc.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Dr. Vaishalee Punj