Suggest treatment for severe loose motion in an elderly person

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My mother is 63 years old and undergoing treatment for RA. She is having loose motion and she passed stool 5 times from today morning. Now she is tired of that and asking for medicine for immediate relief.

What should I do and what med should I give to her?

I am attatching Prescription of RA treatment for you convenience.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ORS is the mainstay of treatment. No other medicines needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the provided details and understand your concerns. Your mother seems to be suffering from a gastrointestinal infection or food poisoning. It is unlikely to be associated with the RA medicines. The cause of the present pathology is self limiting (unless associated with bloody diarrhea) and the mainstay of treatment would be to give her ORS (oral rehydration solution) to make up for the lost water and salts. Unless replenishment is adequate, electrolyte imbalance and dehydration will result and she will feel weak. If the urine output becomes poor inspite of ORS being given you would need to take her to a hospital without delay. However, she should be fine given adequate amount of ORS.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 37 minutes later
She has been treated for Potassium as given in the prescription. Now her K level is normal. Can ORS or Electral be given to her? Her doctor prescribed not to take fruits.
Brief Answer:
Can be given

Detailed Answer:
Yes, ORS or Electral can be given to her without worries.