Suggest treatment for severe leg pain

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Lupus
Question: My legs constantly ache, both sides equally. The only thing that helps is laying down for a bit. Ive had blood tests, mir's etc. Ive been to several doctors and no one has an answer. Im only 43 and I can't stand more than 30 minutes without extreme leg pain. I do show in my labs a high ESR rate.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details as below

Detailed Answer:
I admire your positive outlook and congratulate you for the attitude.

There are lots of pathological causes responsible for such problem.

However, let me give my opinion here.

As per your history is concerned, please do clinical examination by a Gynecologist to rule out endometriosis and fibroid and any cervical pathology (for this you need to get done ultrasound scan and pap smear study).

If you have already done full blood count let me know what was the result values exactly as well as the ESR ?

Do you have any past history of heart disease? If yes then you can do ECG and ECHO as certain diseases like Peripheral Arterial Disease, Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm, and even Arterial Aneurysms lead to such leg pain too.

As you have already done MRI test, please upload the report here to confirm whether you had any spinal compression or not. Please also check and confirm your blood sugar status and TSH level and do a clinical examination for Erythromelalgia.

For all these, you need to have expert's guidance by your physician who will do physical examination too.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 42 minutes later
Thank you, I did have an ESG test already, came back good. My ESR is 40.
I have had 2 ultrasounds and a ct that said all is normal.
I just had an X-ray on my back 2 weeks ago and it shows the very bottom disks are close to eachother but not touching!!
I've been dealing with this on and off for years but the past 12 months it is daily.
Could it be some type of autoimmune disorder that no one can find??
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Thanks for the details,

Well, with regards to your question, I may say that it is not an autoimmune disorder.

This can be repaired by surgical procedure. I'd request you to get a clinical examination done by a Neuro-surgeon in your area, if there's any deficit present, they will certainly repair it.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 54 minutes later
Thank you!!
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you wish you a quick recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy