Suggest treatment for severe leg pain while on chemotherapy

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Breast Cancer
Question: My mother aged about 67 years has undergone MRM surgery for cancer of right breast. As part of the surgery doctors have removed her right breast completely and cut 19 lymph nodes in right arm pit. Now she is under going chemotherapy treatment. As side effect she is getting severe pain in right leg especially right foot. Doctors have prescribed Dolo 650 but she is not getting relief with that tablet. Can you please suggest any other medication?
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
switch to stronger pain killer

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

I would suggest you to take aceclofenac with paracetamol (zerodol p)instead of plain paracetamol(dolo). This controls pain better and is more strong.

Since it is strong I advice her to take daily pantoprazole 40mg 30 mins before food to prevent acidity problem.

I would also suggest you to consult your doctor and discuss about chemo induced peripheral neuropathy. This is a condition where severe leg and hand pain may be seen after taking chemotherapy. This won't be controlled only by pain killers. This needs broad approach and if she is diagnosed of this she may be put on multiple drugs like vitamin E ,B12, calcium, steroids and opioid pain killer.

These must be started after diagnosis and are prescription drugs.

Till you consult your doctor take aceclofenac and paracetamol combination .

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help .

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Deepika Patil 1 hour later
Please suggest any pain relieving sprays for the above problem.
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
diclofenac spray

Detailed Answer:

You may try diclofenac spray and use it 3 to 4 times a day. It is effective painkiller and since used locally there will be less side effects.

This diclofenac spray you will get over the counter by asking chemist at your place. Comes with many trade names like D.F.O spray etc.

Hope I have answered your query .

Dr.Deepika Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepika Patil 25 hours later
Madam can we use both spray and tablets simultaneously?
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be used

Detailed Answer:

I usually advice my patients with such problem to take painkiller mentioned earlier orally twice a day one in morning and one in night after food and use spray whenever in between she feels pain at the site.

Gradually when pain reduces or controlled, painkiller dose may be reduced.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil