Suggest treatment for severe leg cramps

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been having leg cramps in my calves and feet particularly in bed upon awaking, I feel tired a lot, I get slightly short of breath occasionally, I have noticed slight hand tremor and sometimes feel glittery in side.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
To rule out electrolyte imbalance & neurological disorder

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Based on your symptoms I would like to primarily rule out neurological disorder & electrolyte imbalance.
Would you clarify a few things for me, please?
* how long have you had these symptoms?
*are they getting progressively worse? How long do they last?
*does the pain worsen on walking?
*any skin discoloration over the calves?
*have you noticed any factors that worsen or relieve it
*do you have other medical issues or take any medications?
*do you spend most of your time sitting?
*do you smoke or consume alcohol?
*any history of neurological disorder in your family?
*how are your urine and stools?

I recommend :
-a physician consult, neurological opinion right away for a thorough neurological exam
-electrocardiogram, echocardiogram
-blood tests (complete blood count, liver and kidney function tests, electrolyte levels including calcium and phosphate levels, blood glucose panel, lipid profile)
-doppler study of legs if clinically indicated.

These will help to diagnose the problem.
In the meantime :
-stay well hydrated (unless you have any medical condition that prevents you from taking too much water)
-gently stretch your legs before bed time. A light massage can also help.
The tremor could be related to this or part of a neurological disorder
Please seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Hope this helps.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D