Suggest treatment for severe leg cramps while on Quinine

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i have leg cramps every night when I am asleep, they wake me up. I have tried quinine and it does nothing. I have been told that Magnesium helps but I don't know how many mg to take. Any suggestions?
My email address is YYYY@YYYY .
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
do some basic blood investigations

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXXXXXX

Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

How was your day?

Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

I generally see many cases like this at my clinic. I have found that the main reason for the leg cramps at night in this age is deficiency of vitamin D, calcium and/or other vitamins

At this age, in your case, naturally there is a deficiency of calcium,vitamins due to menopause. If you have superadded iron and protein deficiency, it may aggravate the problems. Magnesium as such wont matter much..

i would suggest you to get a few blood test done to find out exact cause,instead of taking medications blindly.

the investigations should contain- complete blood count, sugar levels, calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B12,and magnesium.

Till then you can start on multi vitamin and calcium supplements.

take 1 multivitamin tablet in morning after meals, and one calcium tablet at night.

Add a protein powder supplement- 2 teaspoons in a glass of milk during breakfast.
Before sleeping, apply local cream to the legs, hot fomentation and a compression stockinette, take a pillow below both calves.

Do let me know the blood reports once they are done so that i can guide you further

You should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you.     

I hope your question has been answered.

Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )

If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil, (MBBS,MS,Mch)
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj