Suggest treatment for severe leg and back pain

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Back Pain
Question: I'm 318 lbs down from 341. I've. Been running and walking on the treadmill. I started to experience extreme leg pain, from my thighs to my lower legs/ calves. It hurts after i stand fkr a while. My back also hurts. My docter said it was inflamed nerves in my back. He prescribed melixicam. Your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
muscle fatigue / nerve inflammation

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

It seems that you are overdoing the exercises. Running and walking on the treadmill puts the muscles and nerves of the leg under tremendous stress.

It may lead to carnitine deficiency causing the pain.

If there is associated vitamin / calcium deficiency,then the pain would be even more.

I would suggest you to reduce the amount of exercise to the minimum levels where your muscles won't get fatigued.
After that you can increase the exercise by 10-20% every week,as tolerated.

Taking vitamin/calcium tablets along with L carntine and pregabalin/methylcobalamin will help relieve the pain.

You can take anti-inflammatory analgesic tablets if the pain is severe.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 26 hours later
Thanks. Im taking it easy for a while. To give my Knees and legs/ claves time to recover. I've been having pain for a week. Im also taking the inflamatory medication he prescribed. He also told me my left knee was swollen.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
knee synovitis

Detailed Answer:
The left knee swelling may be due to synovitis secondary to inflammation.

A supportive knee brace or compression bandage with local hot fomentation will help.

I guess,you should be fine with a few days of rest.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy