Suggest treatment for severe knee pain

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 1 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Greetings,
My name is Larry XXXXXXX I am a 60yr Australian male, in relatiily good physical shape, (What say). Back in the ,70's I had a Medial Miniscusectomy via laproscope on my r knee. (Football injury)
During the '90s I developed OA in said knee. I have been effectively self managing the pain since then with both Tumeric powder and fish oil capsules taken on a daily basis. (Engineer BMEch playing medico)
recently however the fish oil capsules have been causing "pimple type" eruptions to manifest on the end of my nose. These "pimples" are painful and unsightly.
If I discontinue the fish oil they subside soon thereafter, but the n
knee pain kicks in.
Respectfully, I request and learned advise. >>>>>Many thanks, kind regards, Larry XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
anti inflammatory drugs , low salt and protein meals , hot massages with topical gels will be effective for most of cases .

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using HealthcareMagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..
Try to avoid further using of such capsules for the sake of preventing further allergies and pimples . you may use NSAIDS ( non sterodal ant inflammatory drugs ) which will help in treating your arthritis and withstanding your knee pain .
I hope you feel better soon , i think your osteoarthritis can be managed by painkillers like tylenol tabs when needed after meals it will decrease the inflammation in your knee joint , hot massages with topical gels , B12 supplementation , will be helpful in most of cases . in more severe cases steroids may be added by your physician if needed .
You may allow high fluid intake ,try to avoid overweight , bending your knees , standing for a long time , vigorous movements , bad sleeping or sitting postures ,high salt and protein meals as they may increase your serum uric acid levels and may exaggerate your pain .
If your pain persists i may suggest urine analysis , SUA ( serum uric acid ) and X rays and follow up with your orthopedic for proper evaluation and management .

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy