Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

197 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for severe knee pain

Answered by
Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 441 Questions

Posted on Sat, 1 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Greetings,
My name is Larry XXXXXXX I am a 60yr Australian male, in relatiily good physical shape, (What say). Back in the ,70's I had a Medial Miniscusectomy via laproscope on my r knee. (Football injury)
During the '90s I developed OA in said knee. I have been effectively self managing the pain since then with both Tumeric powder and fish oil capsules taken on a daily basis. (Engineer BMEch playing medico)
recently however the fish oil capsules have been causing "pimple type" eruptions to manifest on the end of my nose. These "pimples" are painful and unsightly.
If I discontinue the fish oil they subside soon thereafter, but the n
knee pain kicks in.
Respectfully, I request and learned advise. >>>>>Many thanks, kind regards, Larry XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
anti inflammatory drugs , low salt and protein meals , hot massages with topical gels will be effective for most of cases .

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using HealthcareMagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..
Try to avoid further using of such capsules for the sake of preventing further allergies and pimples . you may use NSAIDS ( non sterodal ant inflammatory drugs ) which will help in treating your arthritis and withstanding your knee pain .
I hope you feel better soon , i think your osteoarthritis can be managed by painkillers like tylenol tabs when needed after meals it will decrease the inflammation in your knee joint , hot massages with topical gels , B12 supplementation , will be helpful in most of cases . in more severe cases steroids may be added by your physician if needed .
You may allow high fluid intake ,try to avoid overweight , bending your knees , standing for a long time , vigorous movements , bad sleeping or sitting postures ,high salt and protein meals as they may increase your serum uric acid levels and may exaggerate your pain .
If your pain persists i may suggest urine analysis , SUA ( serum uric acid ) and X rays and follow up with your orthopedic for proper evaluation and management .

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Football injury

doctor1 MD

Years ago my son had his cartilage removed from his knee because of a football injury . He is now 40 and started walking on a treadmill 3 days a week 2 - 3 miles a day. He heard a pop in his knee and pain in the back of it. He can hardly walk on...

doctor1 MD

i have fluid in my knee, the pain is minor but the discomfort of a swollen knee is beginning to be too much. it comes from an old football injury ; a partially torn ACL, I can hardly bend my knee. what is the best thing I can do to bring the...

doctor1 MD

Football injury - studs on the football boot of opposition player left 3 identical grazes [fairly deep] about 5 inches long running down from my shin to about 3 inches above my ankle. very swollen leg, and numb to touch, lots of swelling to ankle resulting in bruising, not to painful, but slightly concerned

doctor1 MD

Hi, While I was playing football I landed heavily on my left hip. I cannot lie on that side (happened yesterday) but have been ok pretty much all day (just pain). This evening I turned awkwardly and it felt like I was being stabbed in the left side of the hip which is and always has been very tender. Now when I walk when my leg reaches a certain position it feels very painful. The muscle is very very tender in a specific point. I work in theatres as a charge nurse and so have had football injuries before and so am reluctant to go in for an x-ray as my colleagues have told me to stop playing ever since a knee injury. What I really want to know I suppose is what is the likelihood that this is muscular? Will It do any harm leaving it a while. I m guessing if it is a fracture it would be acetabular as opposed to femur as the pain has not been severe when walking? Thanks

doctor1 MD

Hi My son has ulcerative colitis and has been on a high dose ofPentasa for about 6 months. A month ago his consultant reduced his dose and since that time he has had left side rib pain, nausea and stomach pains. He says the rib pain is a football injury

I think this is connected with his condition and he should get in touch with his consultant