question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe knee pain caused by osteo arthritis

Posted on Mon, 1 Aug 2016
Question: I twisted my knee and it is very painful if I turn it the wrong way. Currently, just want to know if I should ice it or heat pad. I have been given both. I have never had any pain in my knees even though I have RA and Osteo arthritis.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma (28 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Ice is for first 24 to 48 hours

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case.whenever there is injury in knee initially 24 to 48 hours needs ice application. After that ice is not useful. After hot water fomentation is done. It can be done by washing your knee with gentle warm water.
So at present if your injury is less then 48 hours old then apply ice. If it is more then 48 hours old then you should do hot water fomentation.
I hope this answer will be useful for you.Let me now if there is any other followup questions.
Thanks
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement