Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

128 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for severe knee pain and swelling after an injury

Answered by
Dr. Eni

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2015

Answered : 319 Questions

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was at gymnastics last night and I landed weird after a tumbling pass..I heard/felt a pop in my knee I immediately collapse it swelled quite a lot, it’s the afternoon after and I can’t even start to bend my knee w/o excruciating pain please help me out
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible ligament injury

Detailed Answer:
Dear young lady,
I have read your question and I understand your concern.

As my colleague asserted in your previous question, it is most probable that you have injured your anterior cruciate ligament.

These days you will need to use RICE and to avoid pressure, weight or physical activity. The swelling needs to go away, so as the knee articulation can be better visible in imaging.

You need to see your doctor after a couple of days, and if you don't feel comfortable with this doctor, you will need to go to an orthopedic surgeon.

S/he will examine your knee, most probably order an MRI to check the state of your ligament and meniscus, and then find the right way of approach.

The definite treatment is reconstructive surgery followed with physical therapy.
You will need to be very careful to keep your muscle from atrophying, doing regular exercises that do not involve your knee.

For the time being, RICE and pain-killers i.e. Tylenol, Advil is the only solution. Advil you can increase the dose up to 400mg three times per day after some food (if you don't have stomach problems like ulcer or gastritis).

I hope I have helped you, dear, let me know if I can assist you further!
Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on