Suggest treatment for severe knee pain after an injury

Posted on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello yesterday I fell on some ice while skating and hit my knee realy hard on my right knee and twisted it inward and it is really swollen and bruised but only on the outward side it hurts to bear weight or limp I went to my campus health service and they said I should go to the ER but I don't have insuarance to cover me so I was just wondering what to do also just curious ifv crutches or a knee brace is required? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
At this point,you can treat it at home by rest,icint, leg elevation and ibuprofen pills. You can apply brace and crutches are definitely advisable. After 3-4 days you should see if there is improvement and then planned further steps. Considering your description there is definitely capsule tear and ligament injury. This is self limiting and may heal in these measures after2 weeks. However,such distortion may cause rupture of medial collateral ligament or meniscus and in this case pain would increase after 3 days and swelling would progress.In this case you must visit doctor and do MRI scan since surgery may be required. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon