Suggest treatment for severe joints pain

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I went to the dr. for bronchitis systems. I prescribed benzonatate, Zithromax, and doxyclyine hyclate. After three I developed severe joint pain and stopped taking all drugs. The most severe pain at first was in the feet, ankles, and hands on both sides. There was also joint pain in my knees, elbows, and hips on both sides. It has been over three weeks and the pain has not went away. The pain is the heaviest in the heal, ankles, and knees, and the tibia on both sides.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Although none of these cause joint pains, when combined they can do so.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic,
You have been given double antibiotic (Azithromycin plus Doxycycline) and a narcotic cough suppressant (Tessalon).
Although none of these cause joint pains, when combined they can do so. Additionally all these medicines have additives that can also cause a reaction in some form.
Best option now is to take only an expectorant containing Bromhexine and Guaphenisin plus steam inhalation for your bronchitis and you may need a short course of corticosteroids to get rid of the reaction (under medical supervision).
You can revert back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later
I was over bronchitis three weeks ago. Please advise the percentage of the population that develop joint pain from the combined three drugs taken together. Can result in permanent damage to ligaments, tendons, or to the bone? I'm also concerned how long this will last on average before the pain goes away. In the meantime, I have been taking Ibuprofen and Tylenol which are not working well. Please advise a pain medication that you would recommend.

Thank your for your help.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
With a course of steroids in your case, I will expect a relief in two weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi I cannot give you statistics on combined incidence of joint pain with the three drugs in combination because there aren't any.
Pain relief medicines will not help you.
Only a course of corticosteroids will help which you will have to take under supervision of your doctor.
With a course of steroids in your case, I will expect a relief in two weeks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana