Suggest treatment for severe joint pain

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 7 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: AM HAVING I WOULD CALL SEVERE JOINT PAIN,HAVE BEEN ON VICTOZA FOR 2 WEEKS,JANUVIA FOR APROX 1 YEAR
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Osteoarthritis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Joint pain in your case is most likely age related articular degeneration like osteoarthritis. As both the medications you mentioned are antidiabetic and have nothing to do with the joint pain.

Get evaluated with some radiographs for the joint pain, some blood work up to rule out other pathologies and joint fluid aspiration and analysis if need be.

Take some NSAIDs for pain killer. Physiotherapy and occupational therapy helps. Talk to your doctor if the pain is persistent and consider cortisone shots or lubrication injections of hyaluronic acid. Put a brace or shoe inserts to work as shock absorber and help with the pain. Regular exercises, losing weight, use of assisted devices while walking etc will make sure it does not complicate.

Talk to a rheumatologist and let them decide what is best for you.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan