Suggest treatment for severe itching on the foot

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: Hello. My foot started itching about Monday and unfortunately, as itching gained in intensity I scratched more until I now have one small puss filled sore on back of a toe. Also, though itching has declined, my foot is slightly swollen. No other symptoms. No red streaks, etc.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
add a topical antibiotic twice daily

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Swelling would occur as part of the body's inflammatory response to the itching as well as the mild infection present.

If you are diabetic, then you should consider being assessed by your doctor to make sure that the infected area heals well.
Diabetics with any infection of the feet should have at least one assessment, a repeat visit may not be needed.

If you are not a diabetic, then there should be little problems and you may not need to see anyone.

The use of the anti septic cream is fine and should be done at least twice daily. In addition to the antiseptic cream however, you should apply a topical antibiotic, also twice daily eg neosporin, fucidin, bactroban

If there is still some itching, you can use an oral antihistamine such as benadryl, claritine, zyrtec, allegra.
With itching, there may be superficial abrasions to the skin which can then become infected so it is best to reduce the itching.

If there is no improvement of the infected (pus )area after a few days or there is worsening, then it would be best to see your doctor for an assessment.
Oral antibiotics may be needed.

If the lesion get larger, it may need to be incised, this is usually an in office procedure

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions