Suggest treatment for severe itching on the back of upper arms

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Dr,

About 2 months ago, I starting having severe itching at the back of my upper arms which resulted in hard and black patches over time and sometimes would result in small sores depending on how hard I scratched. I started using hydrocortisone cream which has really helped reduce the itching and the hard patches. I had hoped that the itching would have stopped completely by now but it still hasn't. What do I do pls?
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload images.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I understand your concern.

I can guide you better and offer precise therapeutic options if you can upload the images of the residual black patches.

This can help me to formulate an accurate hypothesis.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 30 minutes later
Ok, the pictures are attached. I hope this helps.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post inflammatory scarring-Will resolve with medications

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I understand your concern

I have gone through the images as well.

You seem to have residual post inflammatory hyperpigmented scarring.

This will certainly resolve with a combination of topical steroidal creams and antiallergic medication.

I generally prescribe my patients topical creams of Kojic acid, Ivarest(helps you to prevent scratching) and hydrocortisone. Since you are already using hydrocortisone, I advise you check with your doctor if he shares my view and if can prescribe the remaining two to you.

You should be fine soon.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj