Suggest treatment for severe itching in groin area

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 13 Feb 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi I have itching from last 4weeks near my private area. I am attaching pics for the same, I have used ring guard today and yesterday and feeling relifed. plz suggest
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload the photographs

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to us at healthcaremagic
I am unable to see the attached photographs. Kindly upload the pictures of the rash again.
According to your complaints you seem to have developed fungal infection but I first want to confirm the diagnosis after seeing the pictures and then guide you accordingly.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 9 hours later
plz find attached the pics
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like fungal infection, start with antifungals

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the attached photographs.
Yes you seem to be having fungal infection.
In such cases I recommend my patients to use cream containing clotrimazole beclomethasone combination on the affected areas twice daily along with tablet fluconazole 200 mg twice weekly for 2 weeks.
For itching I suggest them to take antihistaminic like tablet levocetrizine 5 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.
These are prescription medicines and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Besides this keep the area dry, wear loose cotton clothes, don't share your soap and towel.
I hope to have answered your queries.
Wish you good luck.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 11 hours later
I also observed a arena on my chin where no hairs are coming. is this related? pic is attached
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is alopecia areata, unrelated to fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have reviewed the attached photograph.
You are having alopecia areata. This is not related to fungal infection.
It is a chronic inflammatory disease of the hair follicles charactersised by bald patches on the scalp, beard and other hair bearing areas of the body.
In such cases I recommend my patients to apply steroid lotion like mometasone lotion on the affected area twice daily along with intralesional steroid injections at intervals of 3-4 weeks. The hair growth usually starts after 3-4 injections.
You need to consult a dermatologist for these injections.
I hope to have answered your query.

Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 46 hours later
is this OK if I start this after a month or 2? can this spread across ?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can wait for alopecia, start medicines early for fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Welcome back to HCM

If the alopecia areata is stable for some time you can wait for 1-2 months before starting the medicine.

For fungal infection I would recommend you to start the medicines early as it has a tendency to spread.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee