• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe insomnia

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Mental Health
Question: ongoing insomnia. Go to UCSD and am currently on summer break, but have so much difficulty sleeping at night.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

The first go-to medication I suggest, when sleep hygiene is already optimized (which it sounds you are doing pretty well), is Melatonin. Use 1mg tablets 2 hours before you want to go to sleep. It is over the counter, cheap, and effective. I'd recommend giving that a try.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist