Suggest treatment for severe insomnia and headache while on Prometrium
I m suffering from terrible insomnia. I can't sleep , it's been 4 years, the insomnia started due to to drugs which I was upon for 2 years. To get sleep I started taking melatonin, then I changed to chamomile tea, fenugreek tea, throughout pregnancy I was on prometrium which helped me sleep, now after stopping breastfeeding again I m in same boat,I can't sleep. Plus now there is added acidity for which I m taking ranitidine. My heart pains a lot and I get severe headache, I can't function whole day , I don't want to take any more melatonin or allopathy sleeping pills, I want to cure it through homeopathy or Ayurveda,currently I m taking valerian root but it works one day,next day it doesn't work. Throughout breastfeeding I was oversleeping, I used to take a fenugreek fennel tea at night and sleep tight, but now it's not working . Please help me. If possible,I want to get pregnant in a year or two that's why I don't to take any allopathy medicines which will be habit forming.has my melatonin production stopped, how can I restart it.
St. John's Wort can be used.
Hello thanks for asking from HCM
First of all I'd like to tell you that not all allopathic medicines for sleep are habit forming. Benzodiazepines if used regularly leads to development of tolerance but that doesn't mean every individual develops addiction. Other drugs like Amitriptyline or Mirtazapine or Doxepine etc can be utilised. These drugs should be used cautiously in pregnancy but are safe to use and have no abuse potential. You can even stop these drugs about 4-6 weeks of planning a pregnancy.
You are already taking Valerian root and its not working. St. Johns Wort can be used a natural supplement for sleep. The Valerian root if used with St. John's Wort have great efficacy in insomnia and will definitely help in sleep. So if you are not in favour of starting drugs then you can add St Johns Wort to your supplements.
Thanks. Take care
Thank you for replying. I have few questions.
Has my melatonin secretion stopped due to my usage of melatonin. Can I do something to restart it. How can I know if my melatonin is fine.
Some days I feel sleepy but can't sleep.
Some days I don't feel sleepy at all.
Either ways I can't sleep.somedays valerian works somedays it doesn't work. Somedays my heart beat is very high and I can't sleep, somedays it's normal but still I can't sleep. Somedays I sleep without any problem but with fenugreek fennel tea. Can I ever sleep naturally.
Thank you very much
The problem could be secondary insomnia.
Based upon your history in my opinion your main problem is not primary insomnia. You are sleeping good at some times while at other times your heart starts beating fast and your sleep gets disturbed. Some times without having this you are not able to sleep.
Most likely you have some associated condition like mild anxiety or mild depression which is resulting in secondary insomnia. This doesn't mean that your melatonin secretion is less.
Please try St. John's Wort along with Valerian root and your sleep will improve. This will also keep anxiety aside. With time you will start sleeping naturally. No need to worry.
Thanks. Take care
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Severe insomnia treatment
- Severe insomnia causes
- Symptoms of Severe insomnia
- Drugs/medication for Severe insomnia
- Severe insomnia stilnox 10mg
- What is the cure for severe insomnia
- Effects of severe insomnia
- Diagnosis of Severe insomnia
- Is it safe to take temazapan for severe insomnia
- Treatment and cure for Severe insomnia
- Sight problem. Taking pregabalin for fibromyalgia. Should I stop...
- Found mucus and pus cell in stool test. Suggested to go for colonoscopy...
- Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Taking paroxetine and sustimax....
- On medication for clinical depression. What diet should I take to reduce...
- Alcoholic, suffering from OCD, depression, suffered seizure. Prescribed...
- Trying to quit tobacco. What should I do for this?
- Taking clozazepam. Safe and easy method to stop taking this medicine?
- Taking fluoxidine, lectopam. Feeling weak, anxiety, nervous and chest...
- Aderall induced psychosis. How long will the effects last?
- Started getting panic attack after taking mucinex dm. Cause for concern?