Suggest treatment for severe indigestion

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have a pain in my abdomen. It began after eating a large supper and felt like indigestion. I went to bed and woke up around midnight with sharp pains in my belly, but since they didn't seem to be in a specific location, I figured it was gas. I lay on my side, but it didn't help. Slept restlessly that night due to pain coming and going. Yesterday I went to work, and when I was up and moving around the pain mostly subsided. I ate lots of fruit and drank lots of water and tea, but that seemed to make the pain worse. I came home and slept for about 10 hours, only waking once to go to the bathroom. I had no pains at that time, so I went back to bed and slept another three or so hours. History: small mass on right side of my uterus, no weight lifting Thursday before dinner.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May need anti spasmodic and ultrasound abdomen

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through. Based on the history you have shared, it can be some intestinal spasm triggered by food related irritation. Though absence of loose motions or vomiting suggests mostly non-infective cause.

Using an anti spasmodic like Drotaverine or Hyoscyamine may help with the symptoms along with analgesics like Acetaminophen (Tylenol). Meanwhile continue soft diets, drinking plenty of water and decreasing high protein or high fat diet will help.

If pain persists despite this, getting an ultrasound abdomen with X-ray abdomen erect film should also be considered as a part of the work up.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee