Suggest treatment for severe hip pain in an elderly person

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doc. I was at the driving range this morning (~ 10:30AM EDT) and after hitting most of a large basket of balls, I got off a nice shot but felt something "snap" at my left hip and then experience substantial pain. I can walk albeit with a pronounced limp. I'm 68 and in generally good health but have golfed in years. It's now nearing 1:00PM EDT and the pain has decreased somewhat and it is easier to walk now. Do you think it's safe too take it easy and ice the hip or do you think an MRI is necessary? I'm scheduled to go abroad next weak, so I'm hoping it's nothing serious. Your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think that it is just a muscle pull

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and I think that it is just a pulled muscle. As you are saying that you have less pain now so you can just relax. There is no need to get MRI for sure. I would suggest you following.
1.Avoid game for three to five days.
2.Ice application and Advil tablet is helpful.
3.Volitran gel local application can be done.
4.Keep a close watch on pain, If there is any increase in pain then you can visit doctor, but if it is continue to decrease then you can travel.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad