Suggest treatment for severe heartburn and acid reflux

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have acid reflux. I have just about constant heartburn. I'm afraid to keep using Omprzapole because of side effects. What to eat is a problem. I 'm very uncomfortable
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proton pump inhibitors are very safe.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HCM for your query.
Omeprazole and all other proton pump inhibitors are very safe medicines and can be taken for years without any side effect,So don't worry much about that.Please request your Gastroenterologist to prescribe you Levosulpiride or Domperidone 30 mg once daily in combination with proton pump inhibitor. This will help you symptomatically in long term
.Acotiamide can also be added to your regimen thrice daily . Please discuss these options with your Gastroenterologist.
However a endoscopy should be done to rule out infection by H.Pylori bacteria.

Food advice
Follow a High fiber diet.
Drink lots of Cold milk.
Take lots of yogurt in food.
Avoid any fast food for few months.
No fried food or spicy food.
Increase XXXXXXX warm water intake
Do not drink water during and after meals
Don't drink juices of citric fruits like orange,It may increase acidity.
No smoking and alcohol.
Restrict Tea or Cofee.
Try to eat a lot of fresh salad,Vegetables and fruits.
Thanks.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy