Suggest treatment for severe heart palpitations in a hypertensive person

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Recently , I found out that I have a irregular heart beat & high blood pressure. Also I've been very conspitated.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Palpitations.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for posting question on this forum.

The symptoms you described can most likely be palpitations.Palpitation most commonly are associated with some pathological or physiological problem in functioning of heart.

I would recommend to you some of the baseline tests for cardiology that should be done in patient with chief complaint of palpitations.

24 hour holter monitoring-It will record the activity of the heart of 24 hours.A small machine called holter would be attached to your body and it will keep a record of your heart beats for a period of 24 hours.Any abnormal beat during that period will be recorded.

Tread mill test -You will be required to run on a tread mill and your heart activity will be recorded on a monitor.Any abnormality with beats can be detected.

2d echo-Any physiological or pathological problem with the functioning of the heart will be detected in 2d echo.
Once these tests are done things would be clear whether the problem you are having is related to heart or not.
Serum electrolyte-Gross changes in serum potassium level cause iregular heart beats.Hence serum electrolytes should be checked.

Constipation can be a side effect of amlodipine,There are a number of classes of antihypertensives available,You can ask your cardiologist to shift you on other class of antihypertensives.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad