Suggest treatment for severe heart palpitation and restlessness

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: the past few nights I have eaten dinner and have followed that by having a small bowl of sorbet with whipped cream - within an hour, my pulse went up, I felt flushed, my heart was pounding and I felt agitated - the episode lasted for a good half hour
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to anxiety or low blood pressure.

There is nothing to worry about!

It may be just a reaction to alcohol and lemon juice contained in the sorbet.

You should know that after eating the blood supply to the gastro enteric system increases. This makes the blood pressure to fall. The contain of sorbet can trigger these symptoms in susceptible persons.

Besides, the cold feeling may trigger the vagal nerve (whose receptors lay in your gastro-intestinal tract) and cause this situation.

Anyway, you have nothing to worry about! Just an over-reactive physiological mechanisms.

It does not indicate any other cardiac disorder.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri