Suggest treatment for severe headaches, nausea and diarrhea

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi. I vomited last Monday. Felt great in the morning and then two hours after lunch I got very nauseated and threw up. Nausea went away but now I have a pretty intense headache that won't seem to go away. Never had any diarrhea. Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More info might be useful.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Some more details about the onset of the headache might be useful. Did it start at the same time or after vomiting. Did it reach its maximum intensity in a matter of seconds/minutes or over hours. Has it been stable or increased over this week.
What about its location, other accompanying symptoms, fever or high blood pressure, other medical conditions you may suffer from.

If the onset was very sudden at the same time with the vomiting, reaching maximum intensity over seconds/minutes then it may be a manifestation a subarachnoid hemorrhage. In that case you should be seen urgently for presence of meningeal signs and have a head CT. When symptoms are very evocative even if the CT is normal a lumbar puncture may be needed (as after a week CT can detect only 50% of cases).

If the onset was more gradual then it is less urgent, but still one week is a long time and it requires attention. Causes like high blood pressure or sinusitis should be considered. If no other cause is found, headache persists for over two weeks and you have no prior history of headache then even in the absence of other neurological symptoms I think brain imaging is necessary to be scheduled to exclude causes such as tumors.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 11 minutes later
The headache didn't start until a day and a half after. Was most intense Friday and was much better Saturday morning. Still hasn't gone away and I feel it on both sides and in base where my head and beck meet.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the additional information.

Judging from that interval between the vomiting and the headache the two shouldn't be related and it shouldn't be due to an urgent cause such as subarachnoid hemorrhage.

High blood pressure remains a possibility so if it hasn't been measured it should be checked.
Tension type headache is the other most probable cause. It is the most common type of primary headache (primary meaning with no identifiable cause), affecting the majority of people at one time or the other. It is commonly triggered/exacerbated by stress and anxiety. Advil that you have been taking is the first choice in alleviating the pain. Only in chronic cases is regular daily preventive treatment considered.

Neck arthritis is another possible cause for that location although less likely for your age. Advil remains the indicated measure for that as well.

If there are no other symptoms such as balance and coordination issues, weakness or numbness of the limbs on one side, double vision or visual loss, recurrent vomiting etc then other worrying causes such as brain lesions are unlikely. However if it persists for over 2 weeks in the absence of a cause the recommendation for brain imaging to be scheduled remains.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 7 minutes later
Thank you.
Brief Answer:
Hope you feel better soon.

Detailed Answer:
Hope you feel better soon.