Suggest treatment for severe headache with fever

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have been having a severe headache that starts in my right lower head and shoots out the right eye. It is so severe it causes me to cry out in pain. Afterwards my head will have sore place on it where the pain shot out the top of it. No over the counter medicines worked and I have been running fever of a little over 101. The pain is excruciating and hurts like hell all the time while the shooting pains are 5 to 6 an hour. I suffer from pass and take XXXXXXX line for it? I also have taken hydro codons 10/325 but no help there. Checked blood pressure and it was 133/78
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Based on your frequency you are having TAC's or dysautonomic headaches

Detailed Answer:
Good evening. I am an an adult neurologist and a headache specialist from XXXXXXX OH. The frequency of your headaches alone most likely makes this type one of the family known as TRIGEMINAL AUTONOMIC CEPHALGIAS. Over the counter medications have no effect on these types of headaches and they can be very challenging to treat. My suggestion is that you seek out a headache specialist who can put you through the paces and try and track down the cause of these things since treating that (if you can find it) would be much more effective than playing catch up with the headaches when they occur especially since they are so brief and frequent...I'm sure you'll agree.

Treatment of these types of headaches will usually involve something like indomethacin by first intention, however, buyer beware....indomethacin can be very hard on some peoples' stomach so make sure you take this medication with food as well as another medication that can calm down its aggressive GI side effects called CYTOTEC. Do not accept anything like omeprazole, pantoprazole, Pepto Bismol, or any number of other medications designed for either coating the stomach or reducing acid reflux. They are poorly effective with indomethacin. But CYTOTEC is likely one of the best to counter the GI side effects if they were to happen.

Hydrocodone and other narcotics are poorly effective against these TAC's which are mostly indomethacin responsive types of headaches.

It could be that the trigger for these headaches was the mild spike in your temperature of 101 which could be a viral infection...not likely bacterial or meningitic but low grade should prompt a search for other agents.

I hope these responses have satisfactorily given you some food for thought which you may now discuss with your doctor so that a referral may be made to a good local neurologist. If you agree then, may I ask your favor of a HIGH STAR RATING with some written feedback if you have no further comments or questions?

Also, if that be the case- may I ask you to CLOSE THE QUERY on your end so things can be transacted and archived for further reference by colleagues as necessary?

Please keep me informed as to your progress with things and do keep me informed as to the outcome of your situation by writing to me about this or any other medical issues you may have at: bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi

The query has required a total of 17 minutes of physician specific time to read, research, and compile a return envoy to the patient.