Suggest treatment for severe headache when diagnosed with arachnoid cyst

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: my son has a arachnoid cyst since he was 16 he is 22. when they found it they inserted a shunt because it was to large to remove, it's apparently the size of a baseball on his left side front lobe. a month after shunt body rejected it so it was removed and doctor said we'll leave it alone since most likely it's been there his whole life. throughout years their has been a few ER visits due to headaches but the cyst hasn't grown. it's been a year or so since last visit, currently he's been having stubborn headaches for a few days, his vision seems impaired although he just got new glasses ( he's worn glasses since a boy) mood changes and bloddy nose. he went to ER where they have neurological specialist. they gave him pain medication but haven't done a xray or scan. and said he'll have this rest of his life and are getting ready to release him. seems odd to me that they didn't do xray nor scan. is it?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
you are absolutely alright

Detailed Answer:
Hi Iselaarce

Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

How was your day?

Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

I generally see many cases like this at my clinic and its our protocol that we get regular scans of such patients,irrespective of the patient has any symptoms or not.

In your sons case,you are justified to demand a scan to see the progress of the lesion.
Infact he is complaining of new symptoms and the hospital should get him investigated whether his new symptoms are due to any increase in the cyst size or whether its getting blocked somewhere causing tamponade pressure effect to the surrounding structures.

I advice you to consult another doctor if possible and get his scan done immediately if the present hospital is refusing to do it.

Do let me know the latest scan reports.

He should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you.

I hope your question has been answered

Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.
Wish him a healthy life : )

If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil, (MBBS,MS,Mch)

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar