Suggest treatment for severe headache, nausea, vomiting and sensitive to light

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Severe headache 2 days,nausea, vomiting,sensitive to light
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Further medical evaluation needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

There are few things that need to be clarified about your symptoms: is the first time that this headache happened? any previous history of migraines? fever? are headaches constant or change during the day?

In my opinion, this condition needs a medical evaluation by a Neurologist, and probably brain imaging studies, to assess/exclude any organic cause.

Hope this helps. I remain at your disposal for further questions and clarifications.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 13 minutes later
Yes i have at least one a day but lately im finding it hard to do day to day things including work because of them. I sm not able to see a neuroligst
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably migraine crisis.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

In order to stop headaches, you can use Frova eg, ( frovatriptan 2.5 mg single dose).

About further treatment, there is need for preventive treatment about headaches, since the duration is prolonged and they happen often.

Preventive treatment consists on using one of three of drug classes:

1. Antidepressants ( Amytriptiline)
2. Antiseizure drugs ( Valproate)
3. Calcium channel blockers ( Verapamil)

Since these are prescription drugs, you need to discuss with your primary care Doctor about their use and dosages.

Hope I helped you. If you have further questions, feel free to ask, if not, you can close the conversation and rate the answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical