• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe headache and neck pain

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: hi, I am having severe headache and neck pain when I bear down. This is happening 12 hours after I woke up with a severe headache on top of my head, accompanied by neck pain, sinus pain and light sensitivity. it felt as though a heavy object had been dropped straight down on my head and then someone was squeezing my head in a vice. the most excruciating headache I've ever experienced. I also had episodes of sweating and nausea at this time. aleve did little to alleviate this pain and application of ice packs to my head and neck helped slightly. thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs evaluation

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

If I understand you correctly this is a sudden onset headache, with an intensity which you haven't experienced before, associated with neck pain as well and not responding well to over the counter pain killers. Please correct me if I am wrong, regarding the characteristics of the pain or if you have had such headache in the past.

Such a description is worrying. Such sudden onset intense headache could be in the setting of brain lesions such as subarachnoid hemorrhage or even meningitis. It might be hopefully something trivial like tension type or cervicogenic headache, but they usually respond to Aleve or Advil, so before saying that you should get checked, even in the ER, for accompanying neurological signs such as neck rigidity which would warrant further tests like brain imaging.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist