Suggest treatment for severe hand cramps

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 19 Feb 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My husband wakes up in the morning and has severe hand cramps which cause his thumb to bend right into the palm of his hand and other fingers to lock into a claw like shape where we need to straighten them out with the other hand or I do it, It sometimes happens to both hands at the same time. What is the cause of this? It is very painful
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get investigations done.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query.

Tell me is there any history of swelling, colour change and stiffness of hands.

Any history of fever or weightloss present?

If there is any such history then get serum RA factor, C.R.P, E.S.R and fasting blood sugar levels done and then send me the report.

Till then you can take aceclofenac + thiocochicoside combination three times a day by prescription of your family doctor.

I hope it helps.

Thanks.

Dr.Singh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 6 hours later
No swelling, no color change, no weight loss, no stiffness, no fever. Doctors he has seen seem to think he needs to take calcium and magnesium. Nothing seems to help. What do you think it is?
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Have fruits and nuts.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response.

From the symptoms like your husband has it is very difficult to make any specific diagnosis.

Although there is no weight loss, fever but it is still mandatory to have all the previously advised investigations done including serum calcium, sodium, potassium.

All this may be due to increase uric acid, mineral deficiency, dehydration etc.

So please get all investigations done and send me the report.

In addition to previously advised medications you can take calcium and magnesium tablets.

Drink a lot of water.

Have fruits and nuts in your diet.

It will definitely be helpful to you.

Thanks.

Dr.Singh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T