• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe hair loss

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Within the past month My hair has been shedding a lott. I have a lot when I wash it. I do not have any bald spots.I used to shed some but now it is excessive.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hair loss

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

There are several likely causes for sudden onset of hair loss in someone your age, and I recommend that you go in to see a dermatologist, or your primary doctor if you can't see a dermatologist soon.

Some hairstyling treatments can cause this. If you have had something new done to your hair, or if you have frequent hairstyling treatments, this can sometimes effect the scalp and hair growth.

Hormonal changes can affect hair production and loss. If you have been taking estrogen for hot flashes and then stopped, that can do it.

Thyroid disorders can also cause hair changes, and so I recommend when you see the doctor to have TSH and T4 tests done. These are blood tests that show the level of thyroid function.

A fungal infection of the scalp can cause hair loss. It is treated with anti fungal shampoo but can be difficult to get rid of permanently.

An extremely stressful (physical or emotional) event can cause sudden hair loss. This can be surgery, an illness with high fever, or radiation treatment (physical) or some large emotional stressor.

Some genetic/hereditary factors cause hair loss, but it usually does not come on so abruptly as you described.

Inflammatory or immunological problems that affect the skin can affect hair growth/loss too.

So, I recommend that you go in to be seen, have your scalp looked at, have a comprehensive history taken, and some labs (TSH, T4, possibly other tests such as sed rate for inflammation, or a skin scraping).

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh