Suggest treatment for severe hair loss

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I have severe hairfall problem since last three months.My age is 51 yrs.
Hair is falling in bunches ,like anything.Hair fall is along with dandruff
I have severe dandruff .However anti dandruff shampoos are not working.I have dandruff in eyebrows also.
I have severe itching in scalp
I dont have thyroid disorder,
Minoxidil doesnot work on me.
I am having calcium and B12 supplements.
I am having hypertension since last six months.Having Concor 2.5mg (Biospropal fumrate)

Please suggest medicine

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Management of dandruff and hair fall

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic

Hair fall has different causes and treatment depends on the cause.
The most common causes are anaemia especially iron deficiency anemia, chronic diseases, certain medications, stress, recent history of surgery, accident and fever like typhoid, dengue and chikungunya.
I would recommend you to get your haemoglobin and serum ferrtin levels checked to rule out anemia.
For dandruff If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to use topical as well as oral antifungal medicines.
I would recommend you to use a ketoconazole shampoo twice weekly and take capsule itraconazole 100 mg twice daily for 2 weeks.
For itching take antihistaminic like tablet levocetrizine 5 mg once daily at bedtime.
Once your dandruff gets controlled you can stop the oral medicines and can continue with ketoconazole shampoo for a long time.
For hair fall use an antihair fall serum like anaboom anti hair fall serum twice daily on the scalp and take hair supplements like tablet keraglo XXXXXXX or tablet hairbless once daily for 4-6 months.
First you will notice stoppage of hair fall followed by regrowth of hair.
These medicines are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad