Suggest treatment for severe hair loss and itching scalp

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,
My husband(29) and I (28) moved to XXXXXXX 8 months back. Off late, both of us are experiencing a lot of hair fall. My hair has thinned a lot, it doesn't seem to be growing longer, and my husband feels itchiness in his scalp after approximately 2-3 days of hair wash, although there is no visible dandruff. We are vegetarians and use normal coconut oil for oiling our hair twice a week. Could you suggest any other practice, or food that could help us stop this hair fall.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Advice regarding hair fall

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and i have understood your concern

I suggest a possibility of Androgenetic Alopecia.
Thinning and increased hair shedding are features of androgenetic alopecia.

Androgenetic alopecia commonly affects the center of scalp i.e front, mid and vertex of scalp in both sexes by thinning/ decreased volume and hair density.

Though thinning is common in both sexes there are certain features which are exclusive in males like widening and deepening of angles of anterior hair line and recession of anterior hair line thus giving rise to a broad forehead.
Unlike in males in female the scalp mostly remains covered.

Another possible cause for increased hair fall could be Telogen effluvium, which is characterised by hair fall in response to an inciting cause like a preceeding medical illness or preceeding surgery, dietary and nutritional e.g weight loss, certain drugs, metabolic e.g thyroid etc.

I would like to know whether there a family history of early baldnes in your and/ or your husband side?

Specifically for you i would suggest a few blood tests like thyroid, serum ferritin levels.

If i was the treating doctor i would suggest topical minoxidil solution, to be applied twice daily at scalp skin.
Minoxidil should be used in 2% strength in females and 5% strength in males.

I would also suggest an Oral Biotin supplement, once daily, for both of you.

If your investigations reveal thyroid abnormalities this can be corrected appropriately.
Low serum ferritin levels would warrant an oral iron supplement

your husband can try a ketoconazole based shampoo, thrice weekly e.g Nizoral shampoo for oily, itchy scalp.

In general i would suggest you to avoid hair oil. Oil will also prevent minoxidil from acting.
Oiling has no role in hair fall. Oiling if desired can be done for just 2 hours before shampoo.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist