Suggest treatment for severe flatulence in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
My daughter is 8 weeks old.
For the last 2 weeks approx. she starts crying at night (11pm or around 12 midnight) and keeps crying for 2-3 hours and then sleeps.
We have given her colicaid sometimes which doesn't seem to create any difference.
Seems to be gas problem to us as she passes gas during that time and sometimes burp and stops for a moment and then again cries.

Generally she is fine during day time and cries only during night. Please suggest what could be the issue?

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explanation provided.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic. Congratulations on having a baby.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Let me first ask whether the baby is exclusively breast fed or whether top feeds are being given. Let me emphasize on the fact that breast milk is the best possible milk for a baby and there can be no alternatives for the same. Most formula milks are cow milk based and hence difficult to digest and that could be a source of problem. Shifting back to exclusive breast feeding could help.

Mother's breast milk is produced on the demand of the baby. Hungrier the baby, more vigorous is the suck. More is the suck, more is the amount of breast milk produced. Giving formula automatically reduces the demand of the baby and thereby the production of breast milk. All you need to do is to switch back to exclusive breast feeding and the production will increase automatically. All you need to do is to monitor the urine output.

Babies often get colics especially when on formula feeds. In such a case switching back to breast milk should provide relief. You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. The extra air taken causes distention and hence colics. Proper burping will ensure its escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe, thus providing relief. You can otherwise continue to give Coliaid when needed.

It is also possible that the baby is craving to be cuddled and rocked before she goes to sleep. In such a case, unless you attend to the specific problem, none of the above steps would be successful.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Thanks Doctor.
Will follow as advised.

One more query....My daughter has a lot of hair on her forehead and ear and we are concerned.
Do we need to do anything so that these hair can be removed at this early stage?

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

The mentioned small hair are called downy hair. They are normal and would fall off eventually. They need not be removed. They are not a cause for concern.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy