• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe flatulence and diarrhea

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am still in a lot of discomfort. My butt feels like a piece of raw meat. I have had a test for C-Diff. Negative I have had blood work and my doctor says markers for active Chrones are ok.but I still have XXXXXXX amount of gas after eating and horrendous diarrhea. What can I do to get some relief. I have some lomtil and I took one today. Not sure how that will interact with Humira. Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoid gluten and lactose in diet

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

You can take Lomotil to help with diarrhea.
Since your doctor confirmed that bout of diarrhea is not due to chrons disease or C.difficle, and you have undergone extensive investigations, I believe other infections has also been ruled out.
Now the important factors to consider is the possibility of lactose intolerance and gluten sensitivity. These conditions are commonly co-resistant with chrons disease, due to the damage to intestinal wall.
Try avoiding diary and gluten in your diet and see if the diarrhea is improving.
I would recommend getting a hydrogen breath test and anti float in antibody testing done to rule out lactose intolerance and gluten sensitivity.

Hope this answers your question
Pleaseaddress further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal